Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Some Paint Ideas...

it's never to early to start thinking about paint schemes... the 69 Cortez was unique in many ways, but the paint scheme they used in 69 left a lot to be desired... here is an example of an original 1969 Clark Cortez... This is how mine originally left the factory as evident with doorjambs and the like...

n_a (2)

n_a (1)

n_a - Copy

Looks good, but why they chose that contrasting, (not even in the same color family) grill color... I will never know.

The earlier Clark Cortezes (63-68) had a very cool color scheme too, but being that they painted a large percentage of them just... exactly... like... this from the factory, I have decided to not "blend in" with the rest of them like my original plans to paint it like this. But here is a nice example of the earlier Clark paint:

Original Paint Scheme

So, I came across this one, also a 69, named the "Alaskan LaBomba" and it was painted in Aluminum/Silver and I really liked the simplicity of it.

n_a (5)

And, for those who watched my 66 Aristocrat rebuild know I love red when it comes to Vintage trailers/RVs, so it won't be a super shock when this one caught my eye as well:

n_a (7)

n_a (6)

n_a (8)

n_a (9)

So I decided to take a version of the Alaskan LaBomba, and switch up the placement of the red paint to be on top... and keep that center band white (I like the way it breaks up the colors, going back to the original early Clarks above) and played around with a few variations as it has to do with the front end.

Do I split the red and silver just bellow the side window like this:

Paint Scheme3

Or, do I wrap the white around the front like I've seen on some of the tri-color Clark jobs?

Paint Scheme

or do I bring the Red down to meet the lower body line to bring a bit more color to the front end?

Paint Scheme2

I'm sure I'll change my mind a few more times before paint ever hits the Coach... but figured I'd toss a few options out there, to organize my thoughts a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment