Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Instant Water Heater

So I bought the rest of the parts to build my on demand water heater for the Cortez. Originally I was going to make this with a far more elaborate design for the Aristocrat, but Copper was so darn expensive I had to put it off. I just need to find the pipe I had cut so long ago (sitting in a bag somewhere, probably upstairs) then I can solder it all together.

So this is the new design, pretty simple... cold water comes in one end, triggers the thermostat to turn on the 1500w diode, that heats the water (or warms it a bit... we'll see on that part later) and it flows out the other end hopefully hotter then it entered.

Actual use would be warm water for washing hands and dishes, not planning to use this for showers.

My water heater has a blown out core, so it's leaking profusely inside the coach... so that's plugged at the moment and will eventually be gutted for exterior storage (Sewer hose and such) and this will be installed on the end.

I figure, a 120v current from the fuse panel (4 feet away) with a simple switch to turn it on or off, and we are set!

Here are the parts I bought... these ran about $70, the Copper pipe another $16 or so... and this is the reduced cost option! The other design would have cost well over $150 or so... more bends, more elements... :)

IMAG1375

strike that... that got me thinking, why build it when I can buy one I know will work? Looked on Craigslist just now and found another point of use water heater that will work fine for $75 and it will take the guess work out of this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment