Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Water Water Water everywhere!!!

So I got what was I thought was the last thing to test out my new water heater... I guess not. I had to get some 3/8 to 1/2 rubber plugs for the bathroom sink fixture, the old dried out and cracked plumbers putty wasn't cutting it anymore. So installed those and turned the water back on... water was spraying everywhere! It was leaking from BOTH of my new connections (hoses) the inlet hose, and water was spraying on the wall behind the Stove... great, another leak.

After I finally got the stove out (Gas fitting was giving me grief) I saw there was an inch long split in the hot water pipe that ran to the rear. Out came the hacksaw, a 6" section of the same tubing I used to connect the water heater, and two more hose clamps. Because the pipe was so swollen back there too, I had to heat up some water to soak and soften the hose a bit. Now it has a custom fit hose clamped and done. Tried it again after tightening all of my hose clamps everywhere... Success! My system hold water pressure, yay!

my "rebuilt" kitchen faucet leaks when it's on.. so I'll have to rebuild that again with correct parts. it leaks under the handle only when it's turned on... so that's not too bad, as it mostly leaks into the sink... but I'll get some new parts all the same.

but I found there was a leak in the P-Trap.. I re-tightened both connections trying to figure out what was happening... found again, there was a crack/split at the bottom of the trap, about an inch long.

So new Trap and gaskets for the fixture and I'm Done with plumbing so far.

Found a new Ball valve and rebuild kit for the toilet for $20 on Ebay, bought that and will tackle the spraying ball valve when that arrives. Still need to do the waste valve. again, not looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment